The ultimate key lies in your resume and answers, and this should be penned down aptly. The main reason behind this is no one appreciates the fake presentation of who you are. They need to know why you are interested in their course and why do they have to choose you amongst all those who have got greater skills than you and you can’t just keep it long and fake it off. It has to be precise, simple yet impressive.
First important determinant when someone scrutinizes who you are will be your resume`. Many people misinterpret resume` as their bio-data and often pen down those elements like name, education etc… Very few understand the actual meaning of resume`. A resume` contains those elements which not only has your name and education on it but also your achievements in your life including all the small participation in conclaves, fests, sports etc…
Let’s treat this topic in a very simpler way with the fragmentation of different examples of resume`
1. Another name for Resume` is Curriculum Vitae
2. A CV is a tool for marketing yourself. If you want someone to be interested in you in the first place itself, you need to make the CV presentable and intriguing.
3. It’s important in a CV to highlight your strengths instead of weaknesses; no one wants to know what you lack. In short, they want to know how much committed you are to something.
4. One of the best quality of constructing CV is there is no one unique way. You can shower your creativity on it and construct the way you perceive as perfect.
What are the main subheadings in a resume`?
1. Name, address, phone number, education details, email, date of birth, and your education details are compulsory.
2. Work experience, Technical details, Qualifications, skills, Achievements, Intangibilities like your aspirations, Objectives are next important steps
3. Remember: Keep it simple in such a way that it is easy to read, make sure there are no grammar mistakes.
4. Let the CV be of 1-2 pages that would be enough. Don’t make it too long to read.
If someone would want to know about a student, his behavior, and they want to get information about you more than what your resume` is offering, recommendations come into work. Universities appreciate not only your grades and marks but also what you have achieved. How will they know? Because there are many applicants who are applying just like you, who can give tough competition to you, a student can have an affirmation if he is a special student. A special student in the sense, how dignified you are, and how much were you committed to your ethics being a student.
How do they make an impact?
You being a student of, let’s say XYZ university have participated in many events, you were academically good, and you made sure to create a mark on professors who had taught you. These professors know the reality of yours, aspirations and how much deserving you are to achieve something. When you send your recommendations with your resume`, this adds as a positive factor as the professor has played a major role in assuring the aspirations of yours, as he scrutinized you during your undergrad years.
Important elements for Recommendations are:
1. Name of the professor who is recommending;
2. Phone number of the respective professor;
3. Designation of the professor;
4. Signature of the professor;
5. Your university email id;
How to write a recommendation letter?
1. A recommendation letter has to be given by those who have observed you very well. The recommenders have to be those who had taught the subject which you aspired to gain knowledge on during your under graduation. The personal reputation of the recommender plays a very major role in benefitting you during the selection process.
2. As you are already aware now how important it is to highlight positive traits, it’s important for the recommender to mention those clearly during this process. Because no one can approve more than the respective professor because he may have made some remarks during your undergrad journey.
3. No one wants to know the information which merely speaks, it has to be clear and specific and that has to be mentioned by the recommender. He must mention your achievements, rankings, and participation in clear and genuine manner.
4. Everyone can recognize the acquaintance through writing and hence, it’s important for the recommender to address you by your name rather than just saying “a student had accomplished this and this….”
5. It has to be as realistic as it can be, because as we had mentioned no one enjoys fakeness, so, instead keep it genuine.
6. In a resume, we talk mainly about our strengths but in recommendations, the recommenders are playing a role of genuine judges who had observed during your undergrad, hence, they must mention your weaknesses too. It has to be a SWOT analysis, which includes your strengths, weakness, opportunities, and threats. Hence, the recommender has to make sure to explain how your strengths can be in turn changed as opportunities in certain situations.
7. The tone has to be calm and must blend with your resume and statement of purpose which you must submit along with the application.
8. It is very important for the recommendation letter to be dated and also the email mentioned in the letter has to be your university email id where you have received the degree.
What are Questionnaires and why are they important for your SOP?
Questionnaires are a list of questions which are made for comprehending your resume` in a brief way. These questionnaires are later used for formulating your SOP. No one can write an essay just by looking at the resume, hence, in order to make it easier and precise, questionnaires are made. In this process of listing out, there will be clarity of why you want to do something, why do you deserve to that specific course in their university and what have you done to gain knowledge in that course.
1. Questionnaires communicate directly about your experiences, your achievements and aspirations
2. Questionnaires will clear the blurriness about so many questions like what are your interests, what are your skills and why are you interested only in that specific university
3. Questionnaires talk about you; it is a way of self-analysis that diminishes the confusion answering one by one.
4. Questionnaires help you in making a better SOP because the moment you get clarity of yourself, no one can stop you from writing a better essay.
1. Why are you applying for your chosen course(s)? Why does this subject interest you? Include evidence that you understand what’s required to study the course.
2. Why do you think you’re suitable for the course(s)? Do you have any particular skills and experience that will help you to succeed on the course(s)?
3. What are your plans to do after completing your studies? How does the course relate to what you want to do in the future?
4. Mention attributes or qualities that you have which would help you in completing graduate study successfully.
5. What are the projects undertaken by you during your under graduation? Also, mention your achievements.
6. What are your personal interests, hobbies, and social activities? Elaborate how they demonstrate your personality and abilities.
7. What is your work experience? What are the attributes that you attain which helped if there were any adversities during your work period?
8. Why do you desire to study in the respective university and why do you think you can successfully complete the course that is taught here?